View Single Post
Old March 17, 2012   #34
owiebrain
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Owiebrain- with the pomegranate, it's a true desert plant. I would plant it in a cactus mix and keep it dry, dry, dry. The citrus like good drainage and not too much water, once established, although I've not ever grown them in pots. Not too much fertilizer but a bit of organic stuff. Mine get some chloriosis so I have to give them iron every once in awhile. Pomegranate likes an alkaline soil so they shouldnt need iron too often.
I haven't tried bananas, yet. I just bought some giant bird of paradise, which look like bananas but are ornamentals, growing to 15 feet and beautiful flowers for hummers.
Thanks for the info! I've still not planted the pomegranate and banana. I hurt myself last week and my seed starting area is in the basement -- a long set of concrete steps. Think I'll have hubby help me figure out crawling down there this week so I can get those started, along with my warm season veggies. It's so warm here that I feel terribly late in everything but it's not all that bad in reality, I guess. Mr. Frost will come spank me if I try to get ahead, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
I have just ordered Jerusalem Artichokes and Chinese Artichokes.

Oh and I have Babbington leeks to plant now, a firend sent them from the UK, I may have mentioned I was getting them. They are perennial.

So my perennial bed is fast getting very interesting. I can't wait for it to start producing.

How is everyone else doing?

Owiebrain, I will keep the info coming and if I get cuttings from my Daubenton further down the road I will share.

XX Jeannine
Thanks so much for the offer, Jeannine! I'll definitely take you up on that should they do well for you. I've never heard of perennial leeks. Gotta go google those!

What variety of JAs did you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I would love to have Jerusalem artichoke and that cabbage sounds fabulous.
I have JAs from a friend. This particular variety is supposed to stay crunchy even after it's cooked, like water chestnuts. Others turn to mush. I originally got starts for them a few years back, planted them, and they did well. And then we moved and I never got to taste them. So a friend sent me another start when we moved here fall before last. There were just a few, small ones so I've left them in place to multiply. There's enough out there right now that I could share if either of you would like a few starts. They don't usually wake up until much later in the spring so I'm sure I could still dig them without making them cranky. Really, though, they are pretty tough once you get them going, it would take a lot more to mess 'em up!

I keep wanting to babble on about fruit in here since my brain tends to lump all perennials together. LOL

I did do some work today on my "perennial" lettuce bed. It's cut & come again lettuces that have seeded in place and are coming up strong. There are even several plants that have survived over winter, believe it or not. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised considering what a warm winter we've had.

My mixed garlic bed and walking onions are doing very well. A friend sent me potato onions last year that are poking through the mulch now. There were only three or four of them so I'm watching them carefully, hoping to divide them and have a good stand in the next couple of years. I also started seed this spring for Red Welsh (perennial) onions to add to my onion bed. I figured a little hint of color in the bed would break up the monotony.

Other than that, I've got rhubarb I started from seed last year to transplant into a permanent bed, along with some root starts I bought from Stark Bros. Asparagus, also started from seed last year, needs to go to a permanent bed but I'm not sure if I should transplant them now or wait a couple more years for them to get stronger? Anyone know? The chives & garlic chives need dividing. They've gone absolutely crazy here. And my husband, the nut, dug up wild onions from around the yard and asked me to plant them in a permanent bed last year. Goofy man. Is the yard not a permanent bed? LOL But they're up and doing very well in the little bed I dedicated to them -- and the entire stinking yard.

CrackpotHippie.com
owiebrain is offline   Reply With Quote