View Single Post
Old March 12, 2018   #20
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherBell View Post
I started my seedlings inside this year under lights because last year I had to start them so late in the greenhouse to keep temps warm enough to germinate. My question is this. I am in Southern Ohio 6b, and I would like to move my six inch tomato plants into the greenhouse because I am running out of room! Do I need to harden them off? and will the low temps at night be okay as long as it doesn't dip below freezing? The greenhouse has had average low temps 30's and average high temps 90's. And how cold is to cold? Thanks for any advice! -Heather
If they have never been outside, the sun will burn off all the leaves and the plant will start over with new leaves. Most of hardening off is UV light tolerance. Artificial light bulbs don't make the UV spectrum, because it gives people cancer. Start gently with the sun. A cloudy day is probably ok. If it is sunny, I would put them in the shade.

As far as what low temps are too low, my plants tend to get sick when they get below 40 or so. 60 is probably best as a minimum low. I have been covering plants with hoops over then benches and a small heater underneath. My weather has been cold, but most of my stuff looks ok so far.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote