View Single Post
Old October 12, 2016   #87
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Hi Jeannine, It would sure be easier that's for sure, but rhubarb can be iffy as a long term perennial in So California as it can't go dormant properly and the roots rot. The longest I have had one last is into the 3rd spring, but it died over that summer. Some suggest you don't even try growing it here, others say go with seeds, especially of varieties that you can harvest the first year (like Glaskins Perpetual). My hubby sometimes has kidney stone issues so I wanted to get a low oxalic variety and Glaskins is the one that is always mentioned. I have wasted too much money on roots that die before I get a harvest so it's looking like seeds or nothing as far as rhubarb goes for me from here on. If I can get them to last a couple of years I will be pleased, but it may be that I will have to grow them as an annual (sigh). I hope the seeds some out fairly true as I would really like the low oxalic acid trait. I may have to just plant a bunch at a time to be sure I get enough low acid plants - if I plant too many...oh well, I'll just have to make more pies and preserves.
You might try growing Cucurbita ficifolia. It's a squash that is supposed to live about seven years and do well in southern California (probably due the shorter days in the south, and the warm winters). The fruits are said to keep in storage for a few years. I still have a fruit left from last year on a shelf in my bedroom (so it has almost reached the year mark). The leaves are edible. It grows fast in cool conditions, but it fruits when the days are shorter. It can survive hot conditions, but it seems to like it cooler than most squash (so it's curious that it does well in southern California).