View Single Post
Old November 29, 2017   #29
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I also use the Solo cups, and the ones I use are 18 ounces. I water from the top, but I don't wet the leaves. I use a watering can with a long narrow spout and insert it into the cup below the leaves to water each cup. Most people swear by bottom watering, but I never liked it. I found that especially when plants are small and so are the roots, the soil at the bottom of the cup was too wet by the time the water reached the small roots near the top. Bottom watering is fine once the roots are well developed, I guess, but I find it easier to make sure the roots are getting adequate water without over watering if I do it from the top. I also think gravity helps distribute the water more evenly in the soil from the top. If you are not wetting leaves, I don't think it matters much and you will get better results with which ever method makes it easier for you properly judge when and how much water they need. Some people grow way too many plants to water individually like I do, and could not water from the top without wetting the leaves repeatedly. I find it gets a little tedious, but I can keep up with up to 75-100 seedlings in Solo cups watering the way I do.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote