View Single Post
Old March 9, 2018   #29
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
There's definitely a big difference in bolting time for one lettuce or another. The best one I have found so far is a "Freckles" type lettuce. There was one called "Cherokee" I read about but haven't grown, supposed to withstand heat and drought. Even we can have bad times for lettuce here if it happens to get hot and dry for a spell.

I planted some of my romaine types for heads in the greenhouse. Really impressed with a new one called "Sherwood" billed as a "mini Romaine". It's super dark green and very upright with those thick juicy ribs already, the others are more spreading and softer buttery type leaf. I hope it turns out to be as good as it looks. Will have to save seed if it is!
I guess I just cant fathom in your neck of the woods, having troubles with heat and lettuce. But, I know it a reality.

On another note, I was looking at Southern Exposure and found "Thai Oakleaf". Supposedly very heat resistant, and only 39 days. I think the DTM is another key to it. Grow fast, and harvest it.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote