View Single Post
Old March 30, 2009   #29
Mischka
TomatovilleŽ Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonjrbm View Post
Yeah, Jackson & Perkins used to have decent roses, too, until they were bought out by the company that now owns Park...
Jackson & Perkins’ new president is Charles “Chas" Fox, as of last year.

"Chas" doesn’t have a horticulture background or anything remotely resembling one. He’s a former NFL wide receiver. (!) He played for the KC Chiefs for his entire 1 year career back in 1986.

Here's another big surprise. Along with his post at Jackson & Perkins, he’s also president of Park Seed, Park Wholesale and Wayside Gardens and also president and CEO of Southern Sun Biosystems.

From ZoomInfo: "We make plants grow faster at a lower cost, and we're better for the environment," claims Fox.

Southern Sun calls its technology "the operating system of the next century" for plant production. Patented by Clemson University scientist Dr. Jeff Adelberg, it accelerates the growing process by producing "finger-sized tissue culture transplants that are free of diseases, pests and pesticides."

"The transplants, called CU-Starts, are small enough to be shipped internationally and strong enough to be planted directly into the field. The Acclimatron houses transplants in a natural light hydroponic growing system that delivers plant nutrients through circulating water."

All the companies are owned by the same investor, Don Hachenberger. (who with his wife Glenda, is one of the founders of the RE/MAX real estate empire)

Now we know where some of that real estate bubble money went... gobbling up these companies that will be stripped of their assets, real estate holdings and sadly, once-sterling reputations.

The value of their real estate business has been battered, so what's the next step to recoup some fast cash? Product quality and customer satisfaction both take a back seat to profits when this happens.

They have more holding companies on paper than you can imagine. This is a tip-off that they've insulated their assets from each other in the event one of them financially collapses - legal yes, but a red flag in my eyes. Sort of a shell game on paper.

Spend your hard-earned money elsewhere, folks.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote