View Single Post
Old January 17, 2018   #24
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Maybe, if you only eat red tomatoes.

This year I'll have 16 tomato plants in a 15x20 plot plus another 20 in pots.

Finally... No peppers, eggplant or melons? Obviously the victory garden wasn't designed by an Italian!
Most Obviously .....ha ha ha

I actually used to have a Garden plot at least 2x as big in Manitoba rural life .
not including extra boxes and in deck sunken big Box and pots and beans up against the shed etc. etc.

Even Then with that size of a plot I was aware that ...since the 1940's we have many different

vegetable varieties developed for the modern garden . I particularly liked to look at/explore "Compact " varieties and productive .

Compact does not necessarily mean "dwarf" . It does not necessarily mean determinate either .

To some degree the 1940's ideals ...could have changed with modern smaller access to smaller garden plots . In Melons, Muskmelons and cukes , even pumpkins ....even with much larger space I opted for short vine varieties for great success . I was able to have much and much variety in smaller space.

I have pepper plants overwintered in the shop with the lemons to be brought out when safe but cool again .

Geese I can hardly wait for the real healthy fresh Basil and Thyme to go with the Toms . mmmmmm