View Single Post
Old March 7, 2018   #4
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstar View Post
I'm going to have 3 peppers in my grow bag garden this year Shish-ito, Cubanelle and North Star a bell pepper. Am I right in thinking I have zero chance of saving any seeds because of cross pollination? Or is there a method I'm not aware of to keep it from happening?
I don’t know much about peppers, I just copied the following lines from a post written on a French site by an expert :
- If you grow your peppers in the open air hybridation rate will reach 50%.
- If you use flower- bags the rate will still reach 25-30% as pepper pollen is extremely fine and will fly through the meshes.

Solutions :
Growing peppers in a greenhouse AND protecting the whole plant with a bag (flower-bags are not efficient enough)
Planting in the open air at least 15 plants, hoping there is no other plantation of peppers in a radius of several hundred yards.

Serious seed sellers have a wide range of seed producers who only grow few varieties far from each other, the same variety being grown by several producers.

There is little room left for amateur gardeners, but you can always have a try, you will find a way, I trust American inventiveness
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote