Thread: Container Size
View Single Post
Old September 25, 2018   #10
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

True, Mark. The ones they are starting to use here have some way of opening both ends so they can drive tractors through them. I can't remember exactly how they do it. They also have a way to ;ife the side panels up for more ventilation. By the time they do this, it's practically like not even having a greenhouse.

BTW...I really like your operation. I'm very impressed at what you are accomplishing in your greenhouses in such a cold climate. Those tomatoes look good, and I'm assuming they taste just as good as they look. Do you have any idea how many pounds one house, during the peak of production, makes in week? And am curious how many houses you have and how many pounds per week you are harvesting. As a guess, we are probably harvesting about 1,250 pounds a week. A lot of those, however, are sold as Number 2 canning tomatoes. They have to be pretty near flawless to sell to grocery stores, and I'm guessing we sell about 100 pounds a day of really nice looking tomatoes. The amount we have to cull and throw away is heart-breaking, however.