View Single Post
Old September 16, 2012   #10
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
I cooked them all together, so I haven't been paying attention to the cooked flavors. Sultan's Green Crescent stood out because of the shape, though. I just ate some cooked beans and noticed that the yellow beans had a little more sweetness than the others. Oh, and also, some of the ones that I like to eat in the garden never make it to the kitchen.

I haven't (ever) canned any beans.
Thanks for your feedback, habitat_gardener and Ted. Renee's sells a pole bean mix of Purple Peacock, Blue Lake and Yellow Pole(?) so I may try that next year based on what was said about the sweetness of the yellow beans and what about the popularity of Blue Lake for canning. I must be harvesting my Rattlesnakes early because I never noticed strings on them but the fact that Blue Lake doesn't have any is a plus.

I haven't fully committed to the idea of a pressure canner yet because I don't really care for the taste of canned veggies. To me, the flavor of canned beans doesn't come close to steamed fresh beans and DH says canned beans (or peas or corn) taste like completely different veggies altogether. But we don't have room in the freezers for all the veggies we need for the year and we don't have good long term storage for things like potatoes and beets either. The goal is to provide as much of our food from the garden as possible.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote