View Single Post
Old October 10, 2016   #15
bower
Tomatovillian™

Just thought I would post an update on my miscellaneous experiments in mite control.

The garlic that had obvious mite action and damage on the outer wrappers, I tried a three minute soak in 140 F water for some of the bulbs. This is not something I would repeat, because the heat caused "waxy breakdown" of some of the cloves. Those were the bulbs I broke up and ate first also dried the good ones for garlic powder (awesome stuff!!). There were only one or two cloves with visible mite damage at this point - freshly harvested - so salvaging was definitely worthwhile but harming the uncured cloves with heat, not such a good plan.

I also took several bulbs and processed as follows: First of all cut the stem back to 6-8 inches instead of keeping the greens on for curing. Removed outer wrapper with visible damage (rusty spots or streaks). Rusty sign could be seen around the roots as well, this time I used a nail brush to scrub the roots under hot running water (140 F). These garlic were then patted dry and set aside to cure in isolation.
I just moved these bulbs to the kitchen last week, and very impressed with their condition. they cured perfectly and were very clean, no sign of further mite activity.

On Saturday night I cracked and inspected my seed garlic - which I'd picked out as the best of the lot and also cured in isolation from the rest. All mite free except one bulb from the afflicted porcelain - when I broke the outer wrappers which are now loose, I found rusty streaks on the inside and with a hand lens I could see little white 'pearly' mites on the rusty part. Not moving and not many but there nonetheless.
Since the infested bulb was with its fellers in storage I wanted to give them some treatment but did not have time for a 24 hour soak - instead I opted for the 3-4 minute soak in 40% alcohol just prior to planting. Fingers crossed.
Also, since the 'scrubbed roots' garlic was so clean and perfect, I decided to make up for the bad bulb with some cloves from two of these. I didn't soak them in anything but marked on my map where they were planted. I don't even know if germination might be affected by the hot water scrub but I guess I'll find out.

Meanwhile I'm taking a hard look at the garlic I cured for eating this winter, with the thought that some damage may still be going on unseen. For eating and storage purposes, I would definitely do the root scrubbing in hot water - cure, if or when I see bulb mites again. As for the results of planting, will have to wait till next August.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote