View Single Post
Old February 5, 2019   #67
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Zendog:

YES! This is the weekend coming up I usually start. In my more organized years, I only start with a batch of early and mid season tomatoes to graft. Many of the early season tomatoes have trouble in the heat so I don't mind risking them to a late frost. The first year I seeded almost all of my grafts this weekend and it was a mess with very leggy transplants in a cold spring.

I usually seed more over the next 5 weekends - late tomatoes and the early/mids where the graft didn't work.

Unlike regular tomato plants, I can't trench-plant leggy grafted tomatoes. When I get in a pinch, I can fairly drastically prune grafted tomatoes to buy more time. When I have extra grafted plants and no one who wants them, I'll heavily prune the top and put them close together in a holding bed to replace any damaged due to wind, frost, golden retriever, etc.

I work throughout Virginia - climate can vary a lot! I was in Fairfax last week and then drove home - about a 30 degree difference! Beautiful state though.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote