Thread: Bio Solids?
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2021   #10
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

EDIT: Ok I have always had a soft spot for composting and a fascination with wastes as a resource. Hence my username shatbox.

Here is a takeaway from a deep dive into biosolids years back when I visited the Hyperion Water Reclamation Plant here in Los Angeles to learn how this all works:

First waste water is screened and what's caught goes to landfill. What's left is waste, grease/oils, and suspended grit like sand; which is settled and skimmed off (Primary process). Next bacteria is added to the water in an aerobic process then again settled (Secondary treatment). The water branches off to a different clarification process while the solids from the primary and secondary processes are sent to an enclosed anaerobic digester where it is digested to kill pathogens and collect methane to power the plant. That's it. The product of the anaerobic digester is what we see as biosolids

Also, products like Milorganite used to have a special EPA "organic" certification for biosolids but it is not an allowed input by the USDA for organic production so it's not used in the organic labeled food we eat.

First I would say that it is way safer in terms of pathogens then that gosh darnoodley cat poop left in in veggie garden and I saw that there is a large amount of testing all along the process.

I saw data showing heavy metals are below required levels, but they are still a concern to me since even LA County's own farm uses the biosolids to grow crops not for human consumption. Another concern is the various other chemicals people and operations flush down the drain. I think there is an unstated assumption that only human waste is flushed and that anything else will be diluted ( :/ the ol' saying the solution to pollution is dilution). We can't even trust people to not throw garbage in recycle bins for Pete's sake.

I don't know. If anything, maybe my own humanure, at least I know what I eat

In all, I would not use biosolids to grow for human food crops but would use for green manures which I would compost and use in another site . I know its only once removed but that gives me a little comfort.

The idea of using biosolids is one that makes absolute sense, but I think the lack of communication and easily available information really does not help to lessen the stigma and doubt.

Last edited by shatbox; May 9, 2021 at 12:43 AM.
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote