View Single Post
Old June 27, 2018   #132
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I overwintered a habanero for a friend with great success from the advice here. I kept it in a 3 gallon pot in my sunroom over the winter, then got lazy and moved it to a darker unused room. It took off with longer day length.

I'm not into growing hot peppers, but I came across a great sale today. Picked up Chef Jeff's 3 inch pots of:

Crushed Red Pepper (5)
Salsarific Super Chili (3)
Serano (1)
Tabasco (1)
Long Hots (1) (Taste of Italy series)

I want to transplant tomorrow. They will reside on my deck in part shade for now. We are in for a heatwave. A few questions:

My in-ground plants are currently 2 - 3 feet. These sale plants are about 8 inches to a foot tall, with small leaves. With TLC and fertilizer, will they catch up eventually or be stunted and unproductive in the long run?

2) Is there a substantial difference between container growing initially and growing in the same pot vs digging a plant up for fall repotting? I can certainly try with one, but this process with a dozen plants is daunting.

I folded and bought a 32 quart bag of yellow m.g. for convenience. This bag can fill 8 one gallon pots, if I calculated correctly. I have all sorts of pots, but I am looking for the smallest that I can use for future overwintering. Current productivity is not an issue.

I'll be updating this thread in a few minutes with photos after uploading.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote