Thread: Pickles
View Single Post
Old January 13, 2010   #43
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I had them in the "BOILING" bath for at least 12 minutes. I brought the jars out of the boiling water one at a time and filled them and then returned them to the water one at a time as each was filled. Then the heat activated and when the boiling began again, the clock started. This meant that the individual jars were in 200+ degree water for all that time - Maybe 15 minutes or so.

I always have some of the "brine" left to waste, and I use a bit of extra canning salt (re...the recipe below). I also use a bit of extra sugar, because of personal taste preferences.

Here's the simple recipe I use as a base to start with.

================================================== ======

This is to make 4 pints, you can of course make large batches depending on how many peppers you have.
3 lbs. peppers - washed and cut into rings
2 cups vinegar
1 cup water(distilled is best)
2 tablespoons of sugar(you can go less if you like)
1 tablespoon canning salt(must use canning)
Cloves of garlic
Onion thinly sliced
In a 6-8 quart pot add the vinegar, water, sugar, and salt. Bring to boil. Add peppers. bring back to boil. Remove from heat.
Into washed and warm jars add a slice of onion and at least a clove of garlic, if small you can add a few. Then fill with pepper rings and liquid. Leave 1/2 inch head space. Run a plastic or wooden(no metal!) utensil around the inside of the jars to get out air bubbles. Screw caps on firmly. Process in water canner for 10 minutes.

================================================== ======

And like I said, folks are beating on the door asking if I have some more.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote