View Single Post
Old July 19, 2007   #15
Rena
Tomatovillian™

I did not grow up eating collards but have really come to love them. I learned to cook them from my inlaws who were from LA (Lower Alabama). I have friends who won't eat collards unless I prepare them.
First if you are growing your own it is better for you to let them get some cold weather on them. It does improve the flavor. We do not let our leaves grow too big as it takes longer to cook. Start a pot of water to boil, make sure you salt it really well. While my water is warming I wash each leaf by hand. I then tear the greens from the stem. Your sink will be filled with hard stems. Add to boiling water with some form of cooking meat smoked ham, ham bones, jowl bacon ect. Low boil until they are tender. Cut up further, drain off liquid to serve. I save my "pot liquor to store the collards for freezing or for leftovers. The most important thing we add is at the end which is Hot pepper vinegar. I make my own out of Habeneros, Vinegar and canning salt. YUMMMMY We eat this with some pone bread (corn bread) Delish!!!!!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote