View Single Post
Old September 29, 2016   #184
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Joseph posted:

(It is very arid here. That protects my tomatoes from all sorts of micro-organisms that thrive in damp places. I mean really arid. We often have 5% relative humidity on summer evenings. Dew points might be around 20 F for much of the year.. We had dew for a couple days this spring. That was super weird!!!!

I don't know if any tomato diseases exist in my garden. If they do, it doesn't seem like a good use of my time to try to notice and identify them. I'm certainly not going to spray my plants with anything to try to stop a disease. That would require identifying the disease. I select for plants that produce fruit in my garden, regardless of whatever else is going on with them.

Eventually, after I get a population of good quality tomatoes that is self-incompatible, (with genes from wild accessions,) I intend to seek out lots of collaborators in areas that are beset with blights, and rots, etc... Because if every seed in the population is a new F1 hybrid, it becomes trivial to throw hundreds or thousands of new varieties at the problem to try to find some genetic combination or other that is more resistant.)

I do understand and I hope you saw my suggestions for what they were,just suggestions.In addition you've made it very clear that yield is your main objective, despite what else might be going on.

Dale Thurber ( seamfaster), a member here and elsewhere,also an SSE listed member, moved to Utah,Cedar City,a couple of years ago. Right now I don't remember if he waters or not, but he is still listing over 400 tomato varieties for sale. There's a thread for him in the Seed and Plant Foum here.

As for collaborators,what happened to that young man,whom I last knew,he was in HS and in Colorado,who was very taken with your work and I thought he was trialing for you.I can't remember his name, but is he still working with you.His main interest was landraces.

And I didn't know you sold seeds. Is there a link for that?

Carolyn