View Single Post
Old October 5, 2017   #511
5haun5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
My plants are just about done, mostly due to neglect over the last month now that I'm back to working full time and it's dark by the time I get home from the office.

I had 27 plants with 23 grafted onto DRO141TX, 3 onto RST-04-106-T, and one un-grafted.

The un-grafted plant and the three on RST struggled all year and were the first to fall. I'm taking this as my proof that I do have Verticillium as RST is not V resistant, but DRO is.

The rest on the DRO did great until I had to stop paying attention to them.

Last year I did not graft and averaged a pitiful >3/4 of a pound per plant. With grafting this year, I have averaged almost 3 1/4 pounds per plant with a few viable fruit still hanging on a couple of plants.

Next year they are all going onto DRO rootstock.
Thanks for the report. I only have DRO141TX [*] and only needed 8 or 10 plants but life happened just as I was about to graft. Consequently the results aren't the best, they're still in healing chambers so not sure of final numbers.

My DRO141TX is pelleted seed and it didn't germinate at the same time as the scions. Turns out I didn't wet the media enough to dissolve the clay-based pelleting material.

I germinated some more DRO seeds on wet tissue when I realised what happened then planted them into small pots but they didn't catch up to my scions so what with that and life happening things haven't been great.
[*] I still have healthy and vigorous Maxifort cuttings growing that have now over-wintered on my deck from the single parent pant I obtained three years ago. However because the stem is so thick on these they're only good for approach (or veneer) grafting. I may graft some laterals from my earlier plants onto this later in the season.

Thanks everyone for sharing.

Last edited by 5haun5; October 5, 2017 at 01:42 AM. Reason: typos