View Single Post
Old August 31, 2015   #71
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Hi Ginny,

I really liked your kitchen herb plants- you really have a green hand. My wrist is mostly better; range of motion is great - I still can't put much weight on it but every week has improvement.

Just sowing tomato seeds; nothing to look at.

Larry - is it time to grow broccoli? I was thinking of sowing seeds yesterday b/c it rained all day and couldn't get out, but then thought it was too hot. Last year I didn't start them until November; and then it was so hot by April that I didn't get much of a crop.

Also, if you want BCD, I have tons -PM me your address and I will mail them. - I sowed 4 just to make sure the germination rate was good for the MMMM swap and I have 4 healthy seedlings. It probably did the best of any of my seeds in the window while we were gone for a week.

Speaking of leaving plants while away - the Dwarfs as a whole do great unattended inside. All of my dwarfs (small transplants now look pretty good).

Also, I planted BCP (Pink) had seeds from the same vendor but never got around to growing them. When I left I had zero germination, brought some to NC with me - still no germination. Sowed some last week when we returned and yesterday just to make sure sowed about 6 more. I finally saw one peeking through so hopefully will get some plants.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes now would be a good time to start Broccoli seeds. I use Premium Crop F1 seeds, which produce a nice head of broccoli and holds well in the garden. They appear to have no side shouts which is fine with me. When I harvest I like to have new transplants ready to go in. I've been able to squeeze 3 crops in the last few years.
Premium Crop is advertised as 58 days until maturity. I find that they are longer in my first crop, when it is hotter and shorter than 58 days in the middle crop when it is substantially cooler.
My first crop usually goes in early September, my second in December and my 3rd goes in in March. I harvest my last Broccoli in early June.
Thanks so much for the seed offer. BDC sounds like it is so tasty.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote