View Single Post
Old February 1, 2017   #71
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I couldn't wait any longer so I did a little grafting yesterday but the seedlings were mostly way too small even for my 1.5mm grafting clips. I did do about a dozen though it is hard for me to handle them when they are that small. I took some pics which are below.
1. shows root stock root ball after pulling it out of the tray.
2. same as above except after pulling off some of the root ball- with larger plants I pull off a greater amount of the roots.
3. shows a root stock and a scion which was cut off just above soil line ready to make the 45 degree grafting cut. I cut of the cotyledons on both and some of the leaves atop the scion. It works out better for me not having too much foliage on the scion as that tends to cause more drooping sometimes which can separate the two cuts during the healing process.
4. shows root stock and scion after cut. I just line them up and cut approximately 45 degree through both. I usually line them up so stem size matches with scion on top but sometimes I lay them side by side. Making sure to hold them aligned together well then with a smooth cut go right through both. Remove the root stock top immediately after making the cut or you might end up joining them back together. A mistake I have made several times.
5. I put the clip on the root stock leaving a space for the scion then slip it in. Usually I have to pinch the clip to allow it in smoothly. I then hold it up to a strong light to make sure the two halves meet cleanly. If they don't some light will come through the silicon clip showing a gap. If that happens I adjust them til they are joined as cleanly as possible.

My next post shows the steps after this where I put them in cups with granular DE.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1058.jpg (195.5 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1059.jpg (221.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1060.jpg (258.7 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1061.jpg (202.7 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1062.jpg (325.6 KB, 131 views)
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote