View Single Post
Old June 27, 2007   #19
felpec
Tomatovillian™

Default *Other* Pickles

Let me start off by saying I have HATED pickled beets for nigh on fifty years now. They have always been so sickening sweet that my teeth would ache just looking at them.

Until...my aunt (who still gardens vigorously at 82 years young) brought over a jar of her homemade ones. My DH ate the entire quart jar, but I did manage to grab the next to the last one.

I love these - and thought I'd share this recipe. It comes from a 1944 Good Housekeeping cookbook, when sugar was rationed during WWII, so they're not too sweet. And I need to go pick my 100 foot row of beets tomorrow.

2 cups cooked or canned beets, drained (save the juice)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cloves, powdered
1/2 cut clove garlic
6 tablespoons vinegar
1/4 cup water (I use the juice from cooking the beets)

Slice the beets and place in a bowl. In another bowl, measure mustard, sugar, salt, cloves and garlic. Add vinegar and water (or beet juice) gradually while stirring. When the mixture is smooth, pour over the beets.
Put in the refrigerator to chill; then remove the garlic, and serve with meat or fish.

I put the beets and garlic into quart jars and make enough liquid to cover - and I leave the garlic in there. Store in the refrigerator. I don't think this recipe is suitable for canning, due to the low ratio of sugar and vinegar to vegetable.

Enjoy!
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote