View Single Post
Old June 26, 2015   #24
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

There are a couple things you can use to protect your Totes from UV and heat.

The first one is the use of flooring underlayment which is polyethylene foam that comes in rolls 2-3 feet wide and lengths from 50-200 feet and 2-3 mm thick. Get some carpet tape that has adhesives on both side and wrap it around your tote 4 inches from the top and another band 4 inches up from the bottom. Cut your foam to the height of the tote and long enough to go around the tote. Then apply it to the tote and the carpet tape will hold it in place. Blocks the UV and helps insulate the tote for more stable root zone temperatures. You can run twine around it for added support. I have used this on normal top watered containers and works like a champ.

For UV protection only I came across a product called "303 Protectant" supposedly developed by NASA.
303 contains no petrochemicals, silicone oils, or petroleum distillates. 303 is not a build-up product. 303 treated surfaces dissipate heat normally. I have not used it personally but looks like it my fill the bill for our application and has had many positive reviews.

Ami

Last edited by amideutch; June 26, 2015 at 05:27 AM.
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote