View Single Post
Old November 4, 2017   #75
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

For the same reason, I don't think I'll replace Sungold with anything else, that fruity taste.
The large F2s are identical to the F1s I saved seeds from, same taste, and with abundant flowering and clusters. So on to F3 next year. I harvested lots of seeds from both generations, and will grow both again next year. I did not grow any other orange cherries last year, so no mixups.

A real wonderful red cherry was Nectar F1 last year, but not a replacement for Sungold.
Isis Candy is another good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
I've never gotten a large sized cherry from Sungold F1, in fact most tend to be smaller than other standard cherries like Snow White and Black Cherry. Did your F2 Sungold have the same fruity taste of the smaller ones? If so, that is a real find and please keep saving seeds!

I still have not found any cherry that I like as well as Sungold, cracks and all. It's not the sweetness that impresses me, but the fruity acid zing that it has at the ripeness stage I like best. All other sweet cherry tomatoes just taste blandly sweet to me.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote