View Single Post
Old February 20, 2015   #5
Rairdog
Tomatovillian™

I stopped by the butcher just a bit ago and he didn't have any pork fat. All this talk is making me want to run a batch of something this weekend. I have plenty of frozen ground venison. I cut it with 7% beef suet because it is always available, knocks the sweetness down and helps bind. I make about 100 lbs a year. It doesn't go rancid like pork and is easy to thaw and make sausage for smoking later when I find pork fat. It also replaces burger at my house for any recipe. When I do find fresh pork fat I use it with venison to replace Italian and breakfast sausage at around 20%. I just need to start butchering my own hogs.

I agree most recipes are too salty for me. I figure they go overboard to be safe and cover their arse for liability reasons....especially when sold in kits I have experimented with corned venison and pastrami with great results. I just don't feel comfortable with salt cured/aged without guidance.

I figured the guy in the video was just doing something out of the ordinary to explain to viewers. It seemed odd that he used fresh garlic also.
Rairdog is offline   Reply With Quote