Thread: Buying Herbs?
View Single Post
Old March 11, 2015   #21
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Any other tips on getting lavender to start from seed? I have tried and tried and the germination rate is so poor I am beginning to wonder what am I doing wrong? I have tried them off heat, on heat, in peat, in potting mix, in different brands, in DE... the best I got was one seed packet germinated fairly well in those jiffy peat pellets off heat, but even that seemed to be a fluke. I haven't gotten anything to be consistent. Thanks.
Lavenders are not easy to start. Starting them from seed requires a lot patience. So like Fred mentioned if you want instant results it is better to buy the plants and actually take cuttings and root more.

To start from seed, I get them little tiny plastic soufee cups you see at the big box store in the paper supplies. The cocktail size about one ounce. I use a screwdriver or heat and poke a hole in the bottom.

In a bowl I will take a handful or what I feel I need of just straight vermiculite and just barely moisten it. I moisten it will a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide. You just want it barely damp, just so you know there is a touch of moisture in the vermiculite. because it can anywhere from two to 6 weeks depending upon cultivar for it to germinate and if you have it too wet your seeds will rot before they even have a chance to grow.

I fill the little soufees up with the vermiculite, drop one seed in each little pot, right on the top. Than I take just a very thin, and I mean thin layer of dry vermiculite over it and give it two quick little mist sprays of more of the hydrogen/peroxide water.

Than I make a small tag from cut up blinds, so that it sticks up about an inch to an inch and a half above the top of the pot. Place all the little pots in a sealed plastic gallon baggy and put someplace where it is warm, but not super hot. About 60-70F and keep lights on it 24/7 til germination.

Because it takes so long for germination some times, I will open the baggy up for a minute about once a week and let some fresh air in and than reclose. If you can't see through the top of your baggy than you have too much moisture and I would pull the cups out, let them dry a bit and put into a new baggy.

They do take work, but Lavender is worth it. I trying to get my hands on some of the yellow to try. The only one I wouldn't recommend is Pink Ellegance. The flowers are so tiny you can barely see them and it rambles all over, not so nice to look at , nor a strong fragrance.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote