View Single Post
Old April 19, 2016   #44
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Bil,
Congratulations on a great crop. I was tempted to grow Coronado Crown, I had read many good things about it, but because it was a bit latter to mature I chose to pass. Potatoes, tomatoes,etc. are not particularly easy to grow here in Central Florida, at least for me, but luckily because of our normally rather moderate winters the Calciferous vegetables are much easier to grow here. From Arugula to Watercress many do well here.
I hope to harvest my first head of Castle Dome late this week at approximately 40 days from transplant. Premium Crop and Lieutenant varieties look good but will be later. I should harvest for the first time this season Espada bush, Rattlesnake pole and Grandma Robert's Purple pole beans later this week, Can't wait to try Espada and Grandma Robert's which I'm growing for the first time.
Larry
Even though Coronado Crown is latter to head it holds better in the heat maintaining a tight small beaded head longer than any other variety I have grown. You know you could try starting some of your broccoli sooner but you might have to be prepared to cover it with a frost cloth or plastic if you get an unusually cold few nights. Timing is always tricky for me with broccoli and other similar plants due to our totally unpredictable winters. I have had winters so mild that I have had great broccoli crops in January and February and other winters so cold that the plants were killed under a tight sealed plastic hoop. I usually start some at least two or three different times starting in the fall. Usually my spring planting is my most productive but sometimes summer gets here before the plants have reached any size at all and I get those quarter size heads of broccoli which is really discouraging but the same thing can happen in the fall too.

If you haven't tried Maxibel beans you might want to give them a try. They are a very productive filet bean with wonderful flavor and they are somewhat larger than most filet beans and they do well in our heat for a good while. I grew them the first time over a decade ago I have not missed planting them since.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote