Thread: Red Celery
View Single Post
Old March 3, 2024   #2
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I grew some red celery from seed last year, did not even know they previously existed. I started in a 4 cell pack in starting mix, probably around 12 spaced seeds per each 2 inch square. I don't remember the germination percent, but I had plenty of plants for the garden row. I left them in the cell pack until I was ready to transplant into the garden. Celery don't mind some root disturbance, so I had to pick/tear them apart for planting rather ruthlessly. I probably gave them a dash of light fertilizer every few waterings while they were in the cell pack, especially as they started to get crowded prior to planting out. They did well in the garden, but never got very thick stalks. Probably because they were in the partially shaded end of the lettuce bed, I got them in the ground late, and was lax with weeding early on. I found the uncooked taste to be more bitter than green celery, but that may have been because of my less than ideal growing conditions. It would be fun to try growing side by side with green celery, or intersperse every other plant for a nice display.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote