View Single Post
Old May 31, 2013   #5
SIP Gro-Tubs
Tomatovillian™

Default Three 1/8" overflow holes per 5 gl SIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsacto View Post
Terry,

Thank you for the details on your SIPs. I also use coroplast (free to me on Wednesday after the first Tuesday in November of even numbered years ) for my SIP flower boxes and Totes. I use 4" PVC pipe for supports and braided polyester rope for wicks. I do like your coroplast support design.

In your photos, it appears your drainage (overflow) holes are positioned just above the platform. Mine are typically 1/2 inch below the platform.

Thoughts or insight?

Thanks,

Rick
Rick

Actually, there are three (3) 1/8" overflow drains in each 5 gl bucket. They are hard to see in a photo, especially on a black bucket.

Just below every other 7/8" drainage holes, the 1/8" holes are drilled 1/4" down. The coroplast also can be seen thru that overflow hole, if you look straight on.

By drilling 3 holes every other drain hole, the customer is quaranteed that if the bucket bottom is not level, there will always be a overflow hole that will overflow.

In my 25 gl, round tubs, there are 8 drain holes, and 4 overflow holes.

I, always laugh, when I, see people that drill a lot of holes in thier bottoms of thier buckets and call them drain holes. The water is wicked from the bottom, not poured in from the top.

The media is moist, not wet, at the bottom of the container, so no it doesn't form water per se, that needs draining.

Aeration holes are another laugh. Thats a marketing gimmick.

How does the air get into the bottom of the bucket, once the water is wicked up to the media in the first place.

What force will react with air that isn't moving, move it up thru the aeration holes.

Air fills the reservoir void as the water level drops, thru the path of least resistance. That's either thru the overflow holes, or the fill tube.

I'm going to do a demo, of this tommorrow. you will be able to see the air moving up between the inside of walls of 2 buckets.

You will be able to see the air flowing thru the overflow drains, and the fill tube, when the reservoir is being refilled.

Terry Layman
SIP Gro-Tubs is offline   Reply With Quote