View Single Post
Old October 10, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I agree, What a crap shoot. As I was reading the first site, I was starting to think about planting in flats in a controlled environment. Winter is hot here one day and 22F that night. Although I could help to a point by using leaves to protect them from the cold.

The second site gives a little more hope. The county we live in is zone 7B in the northern half and 8A in the southern half. We live on the southern county line. Temperatures below 20F do not happen every winter here, but it does happen.

I'm thinking of using the Texas Grano 502 and Granex Yellow Hybrid seeds like this: Grow half in flats and the other half in-ground. If all else fails, they'll be locally selling onion sets of Texas 1015Y in January.

It is a lot to think about. After looking at a lot of sites from Denton to DFW to Waco. A lot of them support planting transplants in January/February. One site must have been selling transplants because they said they cost $12 a bunch...twelve dollars. We pay $2 per bunch for 1015Y shipped from Dixondale to a local plant shop.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; October 10, 2015 at 08:44 PM.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote