View Single Post
Old January 14, 2016   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Thanks H-G-C!

Sure Carolyn, I can clear it up. There are actually three places I tend to. First a little background.
As you may or may not know, the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo of 1848 settled the border that we have now, at least in this area. If I remember correctly, the official spot was chosen by measuring about 5 km south as the crow flies from the southern tip of San Diego Bay (1 marine league)
The line that divides the two countries is simply that, an imaginary line. There's no geographic marker to divide us, as is the case with the Rio Grande in other areas. Here urban sprawl is continuous from Camp Pendleton down to about Rosarito, a coastal town more or less 20 miles down the coast on the MX side. I'm one of those people with one foot on one side and the other foot, well you get it.

Garden 1 is where I live, an apt bldg with the rooftop you see in the pics above. I only do seedlings here . I may do an earthtainer this upcoming summer. Weather is a transition zone between coastal and inland. Have a few ornamentals too.
Garden 2, the main one, is at my parents' place, also on the MX side and further inland, it gets hot, the equivalent of Inland San Diego weather.
Garden 3, a strictly summer endeavor right on the beach. Watermelons mostly. This summer it will also be populated with dwarfs.

And I'm not a purist when it comes to threads, all info welcome. Here's the thread where De Colgar/ long keeper was mentioned http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...598#post524598

PS. I'm absent a sweet tooth....
Actually I had a big grin on my face when you said the dwarfs were on the beach and I'll add,presumably eating watermelons.

First I looked up Rosarito and found it was so very close to the border and then I said to myself,self,you HAVE been to Tijuana but when and why and then it clicked and here's the short version which may not be short for you.

When I lived in Denver before I bought my home I lived in an apt,two floors,ell shaped,pool in the ell,,ground floor and the young lady who lived next to me was Vicki.

I got to know her very well and so well that when I heard explosions coming from her apt I ran in to see what it was. She was trying to fix a delicious meal for her then male friend,had 4 Cornish game hens and just poured in dry rice, The rice absorbed the moisture and the birds blew up.

I think she was maried in San Diego where she was from, but the wedding reception was near Denver and it was there I met her mother who had flown in for the event.

Vicki introduced me to her told her about the blown up birds and she invited me to go to San Diego with Vicki and stay with her at her home.

She met us at the airport and then we took a freeway and got off and it was winding roads to the top of that bluff. The home was at the top with gorgeous views to the valley below. HEr father was an Admiral for some fleet somewhere and he died when Vicki, the only child was very young.

A few memories of San Diego and this was in the 70's, it didn't take that long to drive down to the freeway back to downtown and we did that almost every night to eat even though there was a cook and several maids at her home. There was one restaurant on the wharf, it was painted blue and oneof the best meals I'd had, the theme bein fish, but much more,

Ok,here we go. Her mother said lets drive Carolyn to Tijuano and show her what it's like, we did.

What I rememebr was flashing lights of many colors everywhere and LOUD music coming out of doors and windows everywhere.Also an excellent place to pick up liquors such as Drambuie and B an B, etc, b'c they were half the price if bought in the US and I don't remember any customs agents at the border checking anything as happened when I flew back to the US from MExico or other places.

Thanks so much for the history lesson and letting me know where you live and garden,from time to time.

I'll get to the colgars eventually,and thanks for the link.

Lastly, I'm so sorry Ithink, to find out that you are sweet tooth negative,if only it were the same for me.

Carolyn