View Single Post
Old May 8, 2008   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am growing out some tomatoes that has the temporary name Kelloggs Breakfast Heart F2. Mark Korney grew the F1, which was supposed to be Kelloggs Breakfast, but produced red heart shaped fruit on a RL plant.
OK. I know that Kellogg's Breakfast is a regulare leaf, pale orange fleshed tomato with no bi-coloring.

The heart shape must be coming from the other parent. The genetics does not necessarily mean that the other parent is red!!!!!

Tom, just to bring you up to speed here, I sent some KB seeds to Mark and he grew out this F1 almost red heart and he wants me to look at my grow out list for the year I saved the KB seeds and I've told both him and Hilde I'd get back to them with that.

And I also have mentioned that the other parent doesn't have to be red. I found out that when Craig and I were trying to figure out the other parent for what became known as OTV Brandywine, which was a cross between Yellow Brandywine and ?????.

At first I assumed the other parent had to be red, but that turned out not to be the case re genetics.

Hilde and others, please note above that I said something along the lines of.......don't get me wrong.....about genetics not being important. I taught biochemical genetics and human genetics for many years, but to date I know far more about those situations than I do tomato genetics.

Sometimes when I get a plant with fruits that are crossed I do try to check out genetics re a possible other parent, but most of the time I don't. And I don't do deliberate crosses so that hasn't been an issue with me.

So as I said above, little is known about the genetics of gold/red bicolors as Tom has also mentioned. So Tom, if you've got a handle on it, why not share?