View Single Post
Old February 4, 2017   #26
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
And no,Tania does not need a small lot thing to send to the US or elsewhere. That small lot issue is from SSE in Decorah,IA
I don't think it's specific to SSE. It seems to apply to all seed imports to the USA (from other countries) that don't require a phytosanitary certificate.

I meant that the recipient is supposed to have a Small Lots of Seed permit (not Tania, per se). I'm sure Tania has whatever she needs, if she needs something like that. She seems to be aware of the issue, which is nice.

Tania talks about how US customers may wish to obtain one (see the last bullet on the page), although she doesn't outright say it's illegal if you don't have one (I did say it was illegal, since the information about it seems to say it's required, but the penalty you're probably most likely to incur, if any, is destroyed seeds, although I don't really know).

I don't know why importers are supposed to have a permit, or how you're supposed to get the mail service to ship it to the proper port of entry (that seems a bit much to expect), but it's enough for my conscience to be concerned about the issue (and lose sleep over it were I to go against my conscience there). So, I thought I'd let others know, since it's hard to find much information on the matter. I actually did order there before I knew for sure that it shipped from Canada, but I didn't feel right about growing the seeds after I found that link I just gave you. I figured bringing up the topic maybe would help others to know stuff like that beforehand (so they can make an informed decision and avoid wasting seeds). At least Tania made some money, though (I don't regret where the money went). She does good service to the world with all the tomatoes she maintains and the information she provides.

I don't condemn anyone for not using a Small Lots of Seed permit, even if I personally feel getting one is the right thing for me to do before ordering. And, I'm not the police, a lawyer or a judge. I'm just giving information to whom it may concern.

Last edited by shule1; February 4, 2017 at 05:32 AM.