View Single Post
Old March 12, 2018   #45
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Just thinking out loud...

I would like to plant cherry tomato plants in 7 five gallon buckets that I have already purchased. They are new white food grade buckets sold at Walmart. I have $100 saved back, but would like to spend less than that on mix and then whatever fertilizer costs.

I have a half of a big bag of pro mix already, and I like the results of using pro mix for potting up. The thing I don't like about pro mix is the cost.

I also have a half of a bag of MG. If I go by the advice here about MG - I need to use it to fill pot holes
I would like to try using Sphagnum Peat Moss because I never have. I've always grown in sandy loam ground, so I didn't have a reason to buy any. I can say the same about vermiculite and/or perlite. I have read a lot of positive things here at Tomatoville about Black Kow cow manure. I have not used it before.

I've only tried growing in 3 containers once and it was a flop. I had no idea what I was doing - I didn't fertilize. I want this attempt to be fun and productive. As for fertilizer, what Mark has shared sounds logical to me. I'll use that method if I can afford it. Otherwise I may go with Tomato Tone. I already have Alaska Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1, but that's for greens - not tomatoes.

Rajun, I wrote the above before seeing your reply #34. As I wrote, I would like to use the HG or MasterBlend if I can afford it.
Sphagnum Peatmoss I am quite sure does not have any Mycorrhizae added to it. Read up why it beneficial for container growing.
You have a bit of info to decipher through I saw, but that's part of it.
Good luck
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote