View Single Post
Old February 22, 2019   #60
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Eleven days to pepper and eggplant seeding time! I wish I could start them earlier but alas, there's no room for a lot of shifted up gallon pots in the house. But since they won't be going into the ground until end of April, there will be room out on the front porch for shifted up and hardening off peppers.

Growing this year, one of each except for 2 Gypsys:

Alma Paprika
Ancho Grande
Big Jim Anaheim
Feher Ozone Paprika
Gypsy
Jalapeno M
Jupiter
Keystone Resistant III
Mucho Nacho
Sweet Banana (a freebie)

For years I had trouble growing bells. Then I read they don't like the heat here and I'd have better success with the longer, cubanelle or frying types. True! However hope springs eternal (like me and beets) and last year I tried the Jupiter and Keystone Resistant III seed that was given to me. Both bells are bred for heat resistance. Success!

It didn't hurt that they had shade part of the day. There are two other adjacent bads with that part shade so I will rotate the peppers among those three beds going forward.

I missed that point on Jupiter and heat. Jupiter is smaller than the giant hybrids but worth trying again and watching for this trait when the the temp warms up.
The Keystone Resistant III is new this year in one of the light green colored package dime seeds at Menards hardware store if you live near one. Should have splurged, and I'm not going back to buy it with a blizzard warning ahead. Hope it does well for you again.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote