View Single Post
Old February 3, 2018   #5
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Specifically for NON HOT type peppers , I've accumulated information from several posts and want to verify the sequence

start seeds in growing medium with liquid kelp added for a "good memory" against disease and for production

(start seeds 2-4 weeks early to account for cold treatment and "topping" growing tips)

when first set of leaves appear give 2 weeks cold treatment

when 2 inches "top" growing tip to promote branching

mist with kelp

pinch any flowers before transplanting outdoors

pinch first set of flowers outdoors

I"ve never done any of the above for peppers so fingers crossed. Any mistakes, additions, or contradictions?

- Lisa
I don't do this because of available space. I would have to heat a space to bring it up to 55F to do this, plus I'd also have to have additional grow lamps. I would never stress a pepper plant until it develops 3 sets of true leaves. I don't use kelp either. Putting a fan on them also helps with their cellular development too!

Good Luck, but here is my take on it:

1st - sow the seeds 14 weeks before 1st frost date. I wouldn't germinate the seeds in a treated media, probably doesn't hurt, but not necessary.

2nd - when 1st SET (pair) of true leaves are fully grown out, use a 1/2 strength fertilizer. Can repeat fertilizing weekly but every other week will do fine.

3rd - when the 3rd SET of leaves (not including the cotyledons) are fully out (normally 3-4 weeks after sprouting), pinch off the cotyledons and pot-up the plants into 3-1/2 to 4" pots. Wait a few days for them to de-stress ... THEN

4th - put the plants in a cool area (mid-50s) for 4 weeks. This will slow down their growth rate. Use artificial lighting or direct sun.

5th - bring the plants back to a warm environment, pinch off the main stem to about 3/4 of its current height (if its 12" lop it down to 9"). Let them grow out for the next 3-4 weeks. If it is still too cold out then you can extend this period for a couple more weeks. At 10-12 weeks old you will probably get flowers, pinch those off.

6th - spend the final week before transplant hardening off, pinch off any remaining flowers and then transplant to their final outdoor destination. I don't pinch flowers after transplant.

One of my Biker Billy Jalapenos at 24 days after sprout (today) - 3rd set of leaves 1/2 way out 4th set peeking out. The cotyledons are still there but hidden by the 2nd set of leaves. They will be indoor house plants this year as a separate experiment.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote