View Single Post
Old March 6, 2018   #15
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

I think you are right.

And this makes me a bit nervous to persue potatoes.

As I research the fruits and veg that might benefit my family, I see diseases that cross over. THis is frustrating. How to keep a variety of foodstuffs for our use.

Not knowing the old ways to keep plants clean ( no disease) ---I expect old varieties could /should be more disease tolerant, BUT we know that is not true of tomatoes, so not likely true of other fruits/veg.

makes me ask questions. Perhaps a local variety thrived because it could handle the local disease pressure, UNTIL a new disease arrived via a traveler, human or animal ie birds.

Late blight has moved into the area the last few years. The davenport collection of old variety apple trees was badly damaged--no scions offered this year, again. Maybe never again. It was a historical orchard kept for the rare New England varieties that commercial growers of today dont use.

Picked up potatoes from a friend. There are lots of black tar like scabs on them all. Ikept a few to green up and sprout BUT with a little more thought, tossed into microwave. Wondering if black scab looks like these potatos. Not worth the risk.

Soooo. Thank you for the reminder.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote