View Single Post
Old December 13, 2009   #13
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I think as Carolyn said in post 10, that if an old variety was too problem prone and didn't have GREAT taste, those are the varieties that are no longer available. You won't have problems growing them as you can't find them any more.

For the most part those that have survived the years did so because they tasted good to someone. Often the taste is worth the fact that maybe they don't grow so well all the time or in all parts of the country.

Just because maybe YOU don't like the taste, doesn't mean that it won't be MY fav. That's the problem/joy with all these diferent tomatoes. What I think is great, maybe doesn't fit your tastes and vice versa. But there will always be SOMETHING that will be the perfect tomato for most everyone.

I had a family of Mom & Dad and boy and girl at my field day last summer. After tasting what we had on the tables they walked the field and tasted some of the smaller tomatoes out there too. When they were done, Mom said that son had always claimed he didn't like tomatoes. But he found several varieties he DID like there. He just hadn't tasted the RIGHT tomatoes before.

It may take you a few years, but you should be able to find several varieties that are just right for you. If you happen to be near any of the various tomato fest doings, attend some and try the samples. It could shorten your quest.

Carol

Last edited by Wi-sunflower; December 13, 2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote