View Single Post
Old January 6, 2015   #11
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

The benefits to dense sowing (for me) is beyond getting massive quantities of plant babies... It allows you to start very small using the best stuff possible (as you only need small quanities) - ie, a single heat mat, a single bag of the (more expensive) seed starter mix and then when I pot up, I can use whatever MG/cheaper potting mix. I still have a half a bag of seed starter mix left from last year (grew over 100 baby plants) but I will get a new bag this year to start fresh. I had an old seed cell tray that I cut up but you can also use small dixie/water cups for the seedling mix.
As you pot up, you'll be able to assess the health of the plants - imo, its just a really smart way of doing thing... Instead of having say tons of cups laying around with some that did not germinate. Last year was my first year seriously test-tasting tomatoes. I didn't know how successful I would be growing from seed. I really only needed 14 plants and gave away over 70 and made a lot of others happy in the process.

I liked the red beer cups I used last year but they are prone to tipping over when the plants got tall (I moved trays to the sink to water.) If they were clear, I would like it even better! I'll buy clear ones this year I think.

When I am germinating my seedings, I just used an inverted storage bin over my heat mat setup. Don't need any of this after they pop-up. They are removed from the heat mat/bin and taken under shoplights.

Last edited by luigiwu; January 6, 2015 at 08:24 AM.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote