View Single Post
Old October 30, 2018   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I was particularly alert to inspect for any deformed or suspicious looking bulbs because of the troubles both of you experienced last year. All bulbs that I saved were hard and fully formed, which is a positive note. I think I did have a folded over leaf and scape on one of the bulbs which would explain the damage in first photo but its hard to remember which bulb it was and what I did with it.

The second photo just looks off to me. The bulb is hard, but the skin near the tip looks like it bubbled. All the other bulbs of this variety (not sure which though) had purple coloration to the tip and this one just stopped part way up to the tip where the rough skin is. Underneath it is perfect smooth white.

After writing the above I went to take another look and saw one of the suspicious cloves has a depression shaped like a banana with dark colored damage on the corner of the clove. I'll take a photo and post tomorrow when I can use a better computer.

No rust on the leaves or roots. The first hits on google of garlic bloat nematode were from universities in the northeast area. I didn't see a map of the occurrence of this pest in a quick search but I'd like to find out if they survive here..

I'll be back with a photo tomorrow. Hopefully it will identify the problem.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote