View Single Post
Old January 12, 2019   #8
celerystalksmidnite
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
Also important to remember is that tomatoes aren't like zuchinni. They aren't that hard to get rid of if you have a surplus and there are more than two ways to use them. :-) So as long as you have the time and room in the garden, you can't try too many of them.
Too true! I always dreamed I would have the room, which I now have after sixteen years of growing tomatoes. Sadly, I do not have the time or the physical condition to grow the dozens of varieties each year as I foresaw. Some years, like last year, I didn't manage to plant any. That made the wife and kids sad, so I am gritting my teeth and determining to get a few plants in the ground despite the obstacles. I can get decent tomatoes from Whole Foods in the summer, but they generally lack the big wow of truly excellent homegrown tomatoes. Now that I have made the resolve, I am excited and overly ambitious and bordering on overkill!

Thank you very much. The detailed feedback on Pink Ruffles is helpful in whittling down the list, even if it is just one grower's experience, and I simply like reading about other grower's experiences for the sheer enjoyment of reading about it. Sort of like a good short story about one of my favorite subjects. I have varieties that always do well (CP, PBTD) and varieties that did well when growing them the first time in this location in 2017 (Royal Hillbilly) as well as varieties that I won't be repeating, at least not anytime soon, with so many other tomatoes to try.