View Single Post
Old August 23, 2012   #34
winterfly
Tomatovillian™

Georgia Green is an F6 from a natural cross of Lillian's Yellow and an unknown variety. For me, The first few tomatoes low on the plant are beefsteaks, but later on they are oblong paste tomatoes. The F2 of this cross was a sweet brown tomato that I named "Sweet Georgia Brown". The F3 lost it's sweetness, so I dropped the "Sweet" and called it "Georgia Brown". The F4 generation yielded a green fruit which I named "Georgia Green". I still have the "Georgia Brown" variety, although, to me, its not as tasty. I grew one plant this year that only yielded two tomatoes, but I didn't save seeds from either. I guess I was waiting on more tomatoes to save seeds, but that didn't happen. The plant was stunted because I planted kale nearby, which I later learned would stunt the growth of tomatoes. Lurley, I hope you have enough seeds that allows you to share with your friends. I only need 20 or so to grow next year's crops and probably 300 seeds to allow me to list with Seed Savers, but I don't have to do that. I should be able to manage my seed saving better than I do.