View Single Post
Old July 7, 2018   #25
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

I love the history of growing tomatoes in our country and this history is associated with the name Jaroslav Homola author of Stupices. His article in Garden Magazine inspired me to grow tomatoes in the hotbed. He bred variety directly intended for cultivation in hotbeds.
He crossed the Mikado x Sláva Porýní x Bellevue Bush x Solanum racemigerum that is almost like the Stupice x Bellevue Bush. Of many different plants, he chose the one that had the first blooms behind the sixth leaf, then the leaves and other flowers. On the 3rd to 4th leaf the main stem ended growth. During the youth, 3-4 shoots were formed under the first inflorescence (later with the flowers).
I thought it might be the tomato Urbikany (Vrbičanské nízké), but none of the plants I cultivated from seeds from different sources didn´t look like that. I do not know if the tomato for the hotbed was ever recognized as a new variety and as it was called.
That's why I decided to cross the Stupice with some determinant tomatoes. Maybe it will appear some tomato with flowers behind the sixth or seventh leaves
Vladimír
PS.: I add a copy of this article (if any of you know Czech)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZL1949 1 Homola.JPG (349.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg ZL1949 2 Homola.JPG (341.5 KB, 85 views)
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote