Thread: Asian Eggplant
View Single Post
Old March 12, 2016   #12
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooty View Post
I dunno about a difference in yield or taste between Thai or Japanese eggplants. I haven't grown the grown the first. I vaguely recall eating a Thai green eggplant when I was traveling once, but I'm not huge on eggplants to begin with, so I can't really remember enough to compare it. Though, I can say that the difference between the long thin chinese and japanese eggplants varieties is very subtle.

As far as using them, Kamo is probably half the size of something like Black Beauty. Due to availability, I've know of expats subbing in asian eggplants over those traditionally used in the mediterranean, and usually, they simply use more of them size fruit size is smaller. On the other hand, some people actually choose to use japanese eggplants over italian vars for their eggplant parmesan because they're looking for a creamer texture or milder taste. So it all depends.
I appreciate the information. I may get some Kamo seeds. Add some culture to the garden. I had read on some other TV threads where folks said they liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Yeah, that's it, Starlight, same one.

Speaking of eggplant, I haven't had Rosa Bianca yet. I want to try that one. I am also tempted to order the mix of mini-eggplants that Johnny's sells: Hansel, Gretel, and Fairy Tale.
I have had Fairy Tale before. That was my first taste of one other than Black Beauty. The neighbor grew them. I thought it was really bitter, but since neither of us knew to pick them, it was probably our fault we didn't care for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Sevin kills flea beetles. I try not to use it, but flea beetles on eggplant are the most compelling case I have seen for Sevin being necessary.
I guess I better pick me up some while it is still available. Did you #5 or #10. I don't like chems on food plants if at all possible, but I can't spend all day, everyday trying to hand kill them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
The cats were playing. The eggplants are now outside on a table. There's no room for cats to jump up on the table or on them, so unless a buzzard lands on them - they should be okay. We do have a tower on the property that buzzards think of as their breeding grounds, so...
Keep an eye on the backside of your leaves. Check each leaf. Even small seedlings will get flea beetles if you have them TX. If you see clusters of yellow eggs, squish em!

I do have some extra seeds of all the above if anybody wants some, just pm me.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote