View Single Post
Old September 20, 2020   #11
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I rarely have blossom end rot on my tomatoes but I did have a few cases this year. We had some severely dry weather and very hot temps which made keeping the soil evenly moist much harder than when we have the usual rainfall. Where I had a lot of blossom end rot was on my bell peppers. I talked to a friend of mine that grows a lot of them and he also had a big problem with it this season even though we both mulch our plants heavily. It seemed for about six weeks the only way to stop it was to give the plants a watering every single day and sometimes twice in a day. I guess bells just don't have the extensive root system to keep them moist when the temperatures hover around a hundred for weeks on end.

No mater what mix I used when I grew some of my tomatoes in containers I would still get some blossom end rot on most varieties when it got really hot and dry. Regularly fertilizing with TTF helped a good bit but down here it is almost impossible to keep the soil moisture even, especially in containers, when the really hot weather arrives.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote