View Single Post
Old July 6, 2017   #23
bower
Tomatovillian™

They look great! Will you be keeping some to replant?

The garlic that I dipped in alcohol (an old tincture actually likely a bit less than 40%) is looking good but still far from harvest - they are just beginning to peep the tips of the first scapes.

Besides the alcohol dip, I had some porcelain bulbs with minor mite damage on exterior wrappers that I treated and cured differently. I took them down to a clean wrapper, cut the greens off leaving about eight inches of stem, trimmed the roots to an inch or less, and used a soft brush to scrub just the root area briefly under hot running water. Then I stuck them upside down to cure - which they did very well. I ate a few and saw no sign of mites on them - in fact they looked the best of the bunch so I decided to plant just five cloves - with no alcohol dip - to see whether they were viable and mite free. They all came and are looking as good as the rest at this point. So if they come out clean as the others or better, I might try this again if I have a mitey year.

The porcelains which were so appealing to mites last year, are the tall ones on the right in this pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garlic-height-July1-2017.JPG (436.0 KB, 43 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote