View Single Post
Old December 25, 2016   #13
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

I charge by the ounce - a 1020 tray of sunflowers or peas usually yields 28-32 ounces. So about 2 lbs give or take.

I sell by the clamshell:
small clamshell = 2 oz -- $5
large clamshell = 4 oz -- $8

If someone only wants one ounce or half a clamshell I charge $3.50.

So the price per ounce goes down as the volume goes up. I do full trays by special order only. Order and pay at one market, pick up the next week at the market. I charge $20 for a full small tray and $24 for a 1020 tray.

My prices are comparable to grocery store prices (if the store chain even carries microgreens. Not all do around here). Plus mine are much fresher! Kept in the vegetable bin of a fridge, they will last a week to 10 days, maybe longer for peas/sunflowers. Most grocery stores carry clams of traditional sprouts grown in water. I based my prices on what the going rate was for those also.

Microgreens have so much more flavor than sprouts! Kids especially like the pea tendrils. They have a hint of sweetness to them. I offer free samples of all my greens to customers. I just cut a small handful to let them taste them. I have a steady return customer base at my markets. I find the hardest part is convincing new customers to try them out. Once they try them, they're usually hooked. I've only had one person tell me that they don't like them!

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote