Thread: Toms TPS
View Single Post
Old January 2, 2010   #6
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
I understand the process of crossing two different types/varieties of spuds which give you F1 seed,but is F2 seed from crossing flowers from within that original F1 cross??
That is right but I also allow for F-2 sib mated venues. In other words, two or more F-1 plants among the same hybrid can be mated or allow to intercross to make that F-2.

Quote:
The likes Cocoon Khuchi Khuchi the variations show up in the colours of the flowers as well,i presume this is common also?
Both of those potato vines shown will have a correlation between pigmentation of the leaves/stems and the flower color

I would expect some nice colored skin and well as flesh. My full sibs of your Cocoon Khuchi Khuchi had lots of berries and it looks like yours will too.
Much as professionals have discovered...Considerable variation in the self-incompatibility within these families was observed. This can be somewhat surprising since the majority of this diploid species (i.e. Solanum stenotomum) are considered to be self-incompatible. Field pollinations resulted in some “self-compatibility” berries. Part of my work is to identify those exceptions and alter the mating systems.

If you don't mind I may want to repost those photos onto my blog. I like the international aspect of my seedling potatoes seeing the world.
It is great to have those time elapsed photos of the same plant. Thanks so much.

Tom Wagner
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote