Thread: Morning Glories
View Single Post
Old April 6, 2019   #26
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
I have mixed emotions about Morning Glory's. They are beautiful and they draw in all kinds of pollinators. They even seem to catch the eyes of the migrating hummingbirds that pass thru here. Now that's the up side.

But there is also a dark side. They get into my garden and choke out my beans and then they attack my staked up tomatoes and if I let them, they'll kill my tomato plants. They seem to want any high points in the garden and, so, they dominate the tops of stakes and any other supports for the other things being grown.

I was down in the garden area today and was pulling the last of the 6' stakes I use. Of the 150 or so stakes, and even though I cut them out all season long, there were 63 that had old dead vines from the Morning Glory "invaders" wrapped around and choking the poles. They are pretty. They are colorful. And they are fragrant. But for me, they are mostly a pain in the a$$. They might make reasonable compost if I throw in enough bovine droppings.
They are so pretty but I'll just enjoy seeing the photos on this thread. Ted, you're right about it wrapping around everything. The farmers around here call it "bindweed" for good reason. Any time I see seedlings or young plants anywhere near the garden I pull them out but there are always a few that manage to get missed, bloom and make more weeding work for the next year.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote