View Single Post
Old August 20, 2013   #35
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Delerium,

Well, you SHOULD be proud of your fall crop - everything looks really great! Were those all regular grafts or no root grafts (or a combo)?

I've started grafts now on all 8 of the RST 04-105-T rootstock seedlings I had. I used 1.5 mm silicon clips - sort of nice to be working on a small size again. I've got 4 of my fairly new seedlings on the 105. Unfortunately, I somehow ended up with 5 seedling cups with each one having a seedling stem with the scion portion removed!!! I guess I must have inadvertently cut a scion, set it aside and forgot about it - so cut a new one. I hate when that happens!!! Today, I grafted the other 4 with my larger seedlings (NAR, AGP, Marvel Stripe, and Paul Robeson).

I was thinking about your branch grafting and how it was sort of acting like a human stem cell in some ways. (Although I don't know enough about the subject to elaborate - just sort of an intuition about cells changing functions).

Yeah, it's been really hot here too! I've been doing major pruning, plant removal, etc. to make way for my fall plants. I should have enough plants with blossoms still in the garden to keep us supplied with fruit until the new plants start producing. I'm hoping that the plants will grow faster in the warmer weather than they did in the early spring.

Oh, did you ever try your hand at cross-pollinating?

Anne

PS (Sorry for straying so off topic!).
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote