View Single Post
Old July 2, 2015   #22
FLRedHeart
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkh1 View Post
Yes, pink NOT purple is VERY helpful!

A big swift kick in the pants is the 1910 Market Growers Journal states:

"Formerly only two brands of Tomatoes were recognized on the Chicago market - the market which determines the classification of most Illinois Tomatoes in so far as they are classified at all. These were known as "Acme" and "Trophy". All large, smooth, purple or pink Tomatoes were classed as "Acme", while all the bright red or scarlet sorts were classed as "Trophy"......Some of the varieties of Tomatoes extensively grown in southern Illinois which are everywhere recognized as belong to the Acme type are the Imperial, Livingston's Beauty, Trucker's Favorite, Dwarf Champion and Magnus. The leading variety of the Trophy type is the Earliana, and this has become so predominating a variety of that type that it is often quoted under its own name."

Well shoot...if that's the case, then how many other markets called all their tomatoes either Acme or Trophy???

Thank you for your patience - I am learning and this is so cool! I appreciate your expertise & guidance!!!
Are you responding to what I posted in 14?

"The innovation of Acme way back, was that it simply was the best shipper in the business for many years. That happened because it was the smoothest and firmest of its generation, the fresh market reds were still more fluted and damaged in shipping. If you were a produce buyer at that time, the pink Acme was so generic you could get away with calling all your 'purple' tomatoes Acme. Acme was considered to have a purple sheen when looked at, due to the effect of having deep red flesh, even though that causes confusion today it was part of the definition of the variety then."

If so, or anyway, glad to help. Thought I'd stick a copy of the Buist's Acme that was the description White ordered in 1900 for his experiment. Even though it is a knock-off, it has some useful info and a picture of the foliage at that time, though the seeds White received were contaminated.

FLRedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote